Every School Day Counts!
Did you know that across the year there are just 190 school days? That means there are already 175 days set aside for weekends, holidays, family visits and rewarding days out.
We believe every school day counts to give your child the greatest opportunity of attaining a good education and to support a happy and healthy future.
With 175 days already marked out as ‘non-school-days’, you should have an exceptional reason to withdraw your child from school.
The following are considered illegitimate reasons and are likely to be rejected and unauthorised:
- Trips to visit family/friends
- Your child's birthday
- Cheaper family holidays
- Tickets to sports/culture events
100% is recognised as an expected level of school attendance. If your child is out of school for 3 days each term, then their attendance is below 95% and they’re spending
more days out of school than in it! Should your child need time off due to illness, this figure will quickly become even lower. Because five days of school equates to 25 hours of learning,
catching up with extra work out of school is unrealistic.
From a young person’s perspective, missing schools means:
- Missing out on fun projects and school activities
- Struggling to catch up on work
- Disconnecting with school friends
The vast majority of headteachers do not authorise any absence in term time, in fact, many schools refused 100% of requests last year.
If you wish to request withdrawal of your child from learning, you will need to complete a request form which is available from the school office or you can download a copy from the link below.
Meridian Community Primary School and Nursery expect all parents/carers to adhere to the following update procedures whenever your child is absent from school.
If your child is absent, you MUST:-
- Telephone the school, before 9am and advise us of your child’s absence, please leave a brief message informing us of your child’s name, class, reason for absence and expected date of return.
When your child returns to school after an absence, you MUST:-
- Send in a signed and dated note confirming the reasons. This must be done for all absences even though you will have previously rung and spoken/left a message.
- Any absence that is not explained with a note, will be classed as unauthorised. If there are more than 3 unauthorised absences you will be asked to attend a meeting at the school to explain the reasons.
- If your child is still off after 3 consecutive days, a telephone call is required, giving us an update of your child’s illness. If they are still off after 5 consecutive days we would expect them to have seen a doctor. For illnesses of this length we will ask to see medical evidence, either in the form of a certificate or photocopy of the prescription or label off a bottle.
- If your child has a medical appointment of any kind (ie doctor, dentist, hospital or opticians) please bring in either the appointment card or a letter to confirm this. For morning or afternoon appointments we expect the child to be in school for the other half of the day. If you need to take your child out of school to accompany you to an appointment, this will be an unauthorised absence.
Exceptional Leave of absence
- The Head teacher is not allowed to authorise any leave of absence unless it is for exceptional circumstances. Leave of absence forms are available from the school office for parent s to complete. Permission to take your child out of school is at the discretion of the Head teacher.
The staff responsible for attendance at Meridian Community Primary School and Nursery are:
Ms C Wesctott – Head teacher
Miss L Miles – Assistant Head teacher
Clare Erridge – Educational Welfare Officer