Our Curriculum at Meridian
Our Curriculum is taught through both a themed approach and discrete lessons. At Meridian we have a high focus on developing fluency in reading, writing and maths knowledge and skills to ensure children are ready to apply these in abstract and creative ways. We have a particular focus on developing vocabulary through all subjects taught. We are developing our intent across all subjects so that children have the opportunity to think and behave like an expert. For example in Science we are developing the children’s scientific skills through hands-on experiments and activities – we want them to think like a scientist. This intent is starting to be weaved throughout all subjects. We have Forest School at Meridian so that children can learn outside which supports their personal and character development, such as resilience and independence skills, as well as supporting subject knowledge and skills. We are developing the wider curriculum to ensure children have the opportunity to have cultural and educational experiences to enhance their learning and understanding of the world.
At Meridian Community Primary School and Nursery we are passionate about making learning fun, exciting and engaging for children. We ensure full National Curriculum coverage and progression across the school. All statutory subjects are either taught through meaningful topic related links or discreetly where necessary.
Following feedback from children and parents, wherever possible we try to have a whole school topic so that everyone is buzzing and learning about the same over-arching theme. At the start of the Autumn, Spring and Summer terms each year group invites parents and carers to attend a Curriculum Chat where teachers will share the learning for the next topic and explain how you can be involved as partners in your children's learning. This will include information about any visits or visitors planned.
At the end the Autumn, Spring and Summer terms, parents and carers are invited in for Parent Open Afternoon to celebrate the children's learning and look at their books and displays in the classrooms. These are a great way to end the topics and allow the children to share everything they have learnt and enjoyed.
As well as our topic themes, we enhance our curriculum with themed curriculum weeks, special curriculum days, whole school book/author studies. We have a curriculum commitment to ensuring children have a wide range of experiences, such as hearing live music and going to the theatre.
Here are some of the things we are most proud of about our curriculum
- 100% of our children say that Learning at Meridian is fun (Pupil Voice - July 2018).
- 100% of our children will have the opportunity to learn at least two instruments including a recorder and ukulele.
- 100% of our children get to experience Forest School and learn incredible skills such as den building.
- 100% of our children have access to extra curricular opportunities through Play PE who provide all our enrichment clubs.
- We aim to provide fantastic playtimes for all our children through our work with OPAL (Outdoor Play & Learning).
- We promote a healthy lifestyle with super PE curriculum and opportunities to represent the school at sporting events.
- Our work through the Pivotal Approach to behaviour contributes well to our children's welfare, including their physical, mental and personal well-being, safety and spiritual, moral, social and cultural development.
Our curriculum inspires children to learn and acquire knowledge, understanding and skills in all aspects of their education, including the humanities and linguistic, mathematical, scientific, technical, social, physical and artistic learning.
Click on the subjects below to find out more about our curriculum:
|Art and Design||Music||PE||French||PSHE||RE||
Please note some subject information is being updated and will be on the website soon